Expanded service on GO and UP Express – including Niagara Falls
Metrolinx bringing back more GO and UP Express service. Keep reading for the need-to-know info.
May 11, 2022
With summer weather on the way, Metrolinx continues to bring back more service on GO Transit and UP Express.
Starting May 21, the transit agency is bringing back seasonal weekend and holiday service to Niagara Falls, and more service on UP Express, Barrie, Kitchener and Stouffville Lines.
Weekday service changes start after the Victoria Day long weekend on Tuesday, May 24.
Stouffville Line customers will have to wait an extra week for returning weekend service, which starts May 28, so crews can get in one more weekend of construction at Unionville GO Station.
And don’t forget, seasonal GO Bus service to the Toronto Zoo returns this year on GO Bus Route 96, starting May 21 and running until the Labour Day long weekend.
Here are the line-by-line highlights of the service changes, with schedules available on the GO Transit website.
- On weekends and holidays from the Victoria Day long weekend until Thanksgiving weekend, three Lakeshore West Line trips to Niagara Falls will depart Union Station at 8:51 a.m., 12:51 p.m. and 4:51 p.m.
- Trips to Toronto will depart at 11:15 a.m., 3:15 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. The 12-car trains to and from Niagara Falls will include three bike coaches that can each hold 18 bicycles
- Staying out late? GO Bus Route 12 can get you home after the last train. Be sure to check schedules before you travel
- On May 21, weekend rail service returns to the Barrie Line, with 15 departures in each direction, including three southbound and three northbound trips beginning and ending at Allandale Waterfront GO
- On weekdays starting Tuesday, May 24, three midday weekday trips will be extended to start and end in Barrie, an additional southbound morning rush hour trip will be added and, following the completion of important track work, late evening rail service will resume
- To offer Barrie Line service later into the evening, the 7:53 p.m. northbound departure from Union Station will end at Aurora GO, with a bus connection continuing north to Barrie. To provide more consistent departure times through the morning rush hour, the 5:38 a.m. departure from Allandale Waterfront GO will depart 15 minutes earlier
- Starting May 24, more trips will start and end at Kitchener GO throughout the day and more evening rail service will run along the line. To offer Kitchener line service later into the evening, the 8:43 p.m. westbound departure will stop at Mount Pleasant GO, with bus connections to Kitchener
- There will also be schedule adjustments to offer more consistent travel times, so be sure to check schedules before travelling. To accommodate rail traffic in the network, the 8:34 a.m. westbound train trip from Union Station will be cancelled and replaced by bus service, departing from the Union Station Bus Terminal at 8:16 a.m.
- Weekend service will begin one week later for Stouffville Line customers, starting May 28, following the completion of platform work at Unionville GO. There will 15 departures in each direction, including three southbound and three northbound trips beginning and ending at Old Elm GO
- On weekdays starting May 24, evening rail service will resume. To offer service later into the evening, the 7:14 p.m. and 8:14 p.m. northbound departures will end at Mount Joy GO, with bus connections to Old Elm GO
- UP Express trains will run every 15 minutes on weekdays during the busiest parts of the day
- At all other times of day, trains will continue to depart every half hour, with 25-minute travel time between Union Station and Pearson Airport
- Be sure to check the UP website before you travel to ensure you have the latest schedule information
- GO Bus customers who travel on Routes 30, 31, 37, 38, 65 and 71 should check schedules on the GO Transit website before they travel. With returning and adjusted rail service, some bus schedules are changing, and other bus trips will be cancelled
- Seasonal weekend service to the Toronto Zoo returns this year on GO Bus Route 96. On weekends and holidays from Victoria Day weekend to Labour Day weekend, most GO bus Route 96 trips will include a stop at the Toronto Zoo. Route 96Z will serve Oshawa GO, Whitby GO, Ajax GO, the Toronto Zoo, Scarborough Centre Bus Terminal, Yonge Street at Sheppard Ave., and Finch Bus Terminal
Other rail adjustments
- On the Lakeshore East Line, on May 28 and 29, most westbound trains will depart Oshawa GO 20 minutes earlier, with the last train leaving 10 minutes later than normally scheduled. There will also be minor schedule adjustments at Union Station for trains continuing onto the Lakeshore West Line
- Lakeshore West and Barrie customers travelling on June 4 and 5 should check schedules before they head out due to upgrades along those lines
- On Lakeshore West, trains will run hourly between Union Station and West Harbour GO, but some arrival and departure times will be adjusted. Some trips, including to and from Niagara Falls, may take longer than usual
- Also on June 4 and 5, on the Barrie Line, regular weekend service will be interrupted due to critical construction in the Davenport Diamond. With buses replacing service on parts of the line, and limited train service between Downsview Park and Allandale Waterfront GO stations, customers should check schedules before they travel and plan ahead
For customers who haven’t been on transit in a while, remember to pack a PRESTO card, tap on before boarding, and tap off if you don’t have a default set.
Or take advantage of weekend passes for unlimited travel at $10 for a single weekend day or $15 for the entire weekend.
Masks continue to be mandatory on GO Transit and UP Express vehicles and inside stations.
by Kate Manicom Communications planning senior advisor