Metrolinx's Commitment to Accessibility
As the regional transit authority for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Metrolinx is dedicated to making our services fully accessible to people with disabilities. We also strive to set a good example as a leader in the area of accessibility for the entire transportation industry – both as an employer of choice and as a provider of transit services.
In its activities, Metrolinx aims to provide the same level of service for all people in an integrated environment, to the greatest degree possible. Metrolinx, including its three operating divisions, GO Transit, Union Pearson Express (formerly ARL), and PRESTO, is committed to ensuring that services and activities are accessible to people with disabilities, well in advance of the regulatory deadline of 2025.
To this end, Metrolinx has adopted the following corporate accessibility policy statement:
"The organization will work diligently to remove existing, and avoid creating, barriers to universal access and will demonstrate leadership, consulting widely and incorporating best practices to enhance accessibility in its services. We will work with partners in the GTHA to plan, build and operate an integrated accessible transportation system."
Metrolinx is committed to ensuring that information about our services is accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
If you require a Metrolinx document in an alternate format or are in need of communications support, please submit a request by calling us at one of our telephone numbers below:
- 416-869-3200 Toronto local calling area
- 1-888-438-6646 Toll-Free Number
- 1-800-387-3652 TTY teletypewriters only
Once your request is received, our team will contact you to provide you with additional information on when you can expect a response, based on the document and format you are requesting.
To request a copy of any Metrolinx AODA compliance reports, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessibility at Metrolinx
Metrolinx places a high priority on ensuring that everyone regardless of age or ability has full access to our transit services. There shouldn’t be any barriers to safe, convenient and easy travel across our transit network.
The AAC is comprised of Metrolinx customers from across our entire service area. They include customers with a wide range of disabilities, seniors, and staff from agencies that support people with disabilities. The main purpose of the AAC is to provide input on policy, planning and procedures wherever Accessibility / Universal Design issues may occur with GO Transit, PRESTO, UP Express and our future Rapid Transit services, stations or projects.
We look for the following qualifications and experience in AAC members:
- A strong understanding of the needs and perspectives of a wide range of people with disabilities and seniors gained through personal or professional experience.
- An interest in promoting equity and inclusion for people with disabilities and seniors accessing transit services.
- A comprehensive knowledge of Universal Design principles and current best practices to ensure our transit services are welcoming, accessible, safe, usable and convenient to all.
- Experience with using our services is an asset.
Some of the main areas of focus for AAC consultations include:
- Providing input on how to identify, remove, and prevent barriers across the Metrolinx network.
- Being consulted during the planning and design stages of Metrolinx projects.
- Having a hand in shaping Metrolinx accessibility policies.
- Helping your fellow Metrolinx customers with disabilities and seniors enjoy the same easy access as any other Metrolinx passenger.
- Making Metrolinx the best it can be for everyone.
Whether you are a current Metrolinx customer or have current or prior professional experience supporting persons with disabilities, you can have a voice in how Metrolinx best attains its goal of being a transit service that serves everyone equally and efficiently.
To learn more about applying to join the AAC, get in touch with us!