SAFETY IS FOR ALLAt Metrolinx, safety is our number one priority.
Safety is at your fingertips. Text ‘HELP’ to 77777 to communicate in real-time with a CPS dispatcher to report or request assistance in the event of an emergency or safety concern. You can chat with us in over 100 languages, including Hindi, Punjabi, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, Tagalog, and Arabic. This new option allows you to get help quickly and discreetly from anywhere within our network — on a bus, on a train, in a station building, on a platform or at a bus loop.
Here’s how it works:
- If you have a safety or security concern, send a text with the word “HELP” to 77777. Standard message rates may apply.
- Once your text is received, you will receive an automatic response.
- Our Customer Protective Service Team will reply to you within 90 seconds to understand the concern, and if needed, they can assist by dispatching support or local police services.
- The Text-For-Help Service is 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Important to know:
- At this time, customers are advised to send text-only (SMS) messages (messages without images or videos).
- You can continue to use the yellow emergency strip when police, fire or medical help is needed. Remember, it’s for emergencies only.
- You can always call 911 for life threatening emergencies or to report a crime in progress.
We’re continually looking for ways to enhance safety throughout our network. Our new Text-for-Help service is here to make it easier for you to reach out when you have a safety concern. Wherever you are, we’ll get you help. Safety is at your fingertips.
TRAIN SAFETY TIPS
Stand Behind the Yellow Line — Staying well behind the yellow line keeps you at a safe distance from oncoming or departing trains. Safety is standing back.
Waiting on the Platform — Always spread out along the platform to avoid overcrowding in one section. Carry all your personal articles such as backpacks and computer bags in your hands. As trains arrive and depart platforms, stand still and wait for them to come to a complete stop. When travelling with children, always keep them in sight and close to you. Safety is making space.
Stay Alert – trains may pass at any time. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings as you travel through stations and platforms. Safety is caution.
Don’t Cross Station Tracks — Crossing tracks illegally can result in serious or fatal injury. On platforms, never cross train tracks anywhere at any time. At railway crossings, use the designated crossings; they're designed to keep you safe. And never rush to cross ahead of a train. Safety is not taking shortcuts.
Mind the Gap — Watch out for any gaps between the platform and the train when boarding and exiting. Safety is caution.
In case of an emergency, every train is equipped with emergency exits, first aid kits, MIKEY defibrillators, and emergency equipment. Also, our Customer Service Ambassador (CSA) on board every train is trained to provide assistance during an emergency. Safety is the responsibility of everyone; please familiarize yourself with our full Emergency Evacuation plan.
BUS SAFETY TIPS
Don’t Chase A Bus — Chasing after buses can lead to accidents and injuries. Please wait for the next bus. Safety is patience.
Wait Behind the Yellow Line — Wide yellow lines help make sure you’re a safe distance away from the bus driving area while waiting on the platform. Safety is creating space.
Follow the Signs — Only cross the street at designated crosswalks and intersections. Pedestrians could be fined if they choose to walk in prohibited areas of GO bus loops. Safety is following the rules.
Stay Alert – Avoid distractions around buses while on platforms, especially when boarding or disembarking. Safety is caution.
Buckle Up When Seatbelts are Available— It's the law. As the result of a legislative change, new buses added to our fleet will have seatbelts. It is second nature for everyone to put on a seatbelt when getting into a car, and it should be no different when you’re on a GO bus equipped with seatbelts. For those traveling with young passengers, children should be secured by their guardian in the correct child restraint system for their age and size using the seatbelt.
Request Stop — When travelling after dusk, you may request the bus to make a stop anywhere along the route, as long as the driver can stop the bus safely. Just be sure to let your driver know in advance where you'd like to get off.
SAFETY TIPS FOR DRIVERS
Drive within the speed limit in parking lots.
Respect your fellow passengers by practicing courteous and safe parking.
Please park in designated spaces only. We ask that you do your part to avoid blocking in other vehicles, emergency exits and accessible spaces. This could result in your vehicle being ticketed and/or towed.
When driving over a railway crossing always remember to:
- Use caution when driving over train tracks and always obey crossing signals.
- When approaching a crossing in a vehicle, look both ways along the track for an oncoming train and be prepared to stop if required.
- When the warning lights are activated and a train is approaching, do not stop in the middle of the tracks under any circumstance—stop at least 5 metres from the nearest rail and proceed across the tracks only when the lights have stopped flashing and the tracks are clear.
Safety is following the rules.
SAFETY AT CONSTRUCTION SITES
Watch Your Speed – slow down around construction sites to keep yourself, pedestrians, and workers safe. Safety is patience.
Follow The Signs – pay attention to construction detours and follow the signs when travelling through a construction area. Safety is caution.
Cross Safely – only cross at designated crosswalks and intersections and never cut through a construction site. Safety is following the rules.
Stay Alert – watch out for construction vehicles and equipment when passing through a construction area. Safety is awareness.
REPORT SAFETY & SECURITY CONCERNS
If you have or see a safety and/or security concern, there are many ways you can report it:
- Find an employee for help
- Call Transit Safety Dispatch at 1-877-297-0642 or
- Text “HELP” to 77777 to communicate with our Customer Protective Services (Standard message rates may apply)
Safety is speaking up.