Personal Track Safety Program
With an ambitious goal of a 15-minute all-day electrified rail service, Metrolinx is changing the way people move across the region. In the coming years, many constructions, maintenance, and rail specialist companies will work together to achieve this transformative vision of our rail infrastructure. Metrolinx’ first priority is to ensure that the people who help bring this vision to life do so safely.
With the increases in both the volume of service running on Metrolinx rail infrastructure and the increased number of construction activities happening on or around Metrolinx railways, a more robust method of training is required. All individuals working on our rail network must be trained in the hazards and risks of this environment before they begin work.
To help ensure the safety of everyone working on our rail network, Metrolinx has launched a comprehensive Personal Track Safety (PTS) program that will be required by all workers accessing the Metrolinx Right-of-Way (ROW).
Who needs to take the PTS program?
The target audience for the PTS program at launch will be the following:
- Anyone working within Metrolinx ROW,
- Anyone working under a form of rail protection on a Metrolinx site, and
- Anyone working on a piece of Metrolinx owned rail infrastructure (e.g. bridges, tunnels, etc.).
For Metrolinx approved Canadian Rail Operating Rules (CROR), qualified employees looking to test out of the course more details will be available in the near future.
What to expect?
The PTS program will consist of the following:
- A pre-work package will be completed with your registration package.
- A one-day live-streamed event. Rail industry experts will facilitate this event who will share their knowledge and experience working in a railway environment.
- A post-work pack that will help you apply what has been learned.
- A final test. This test will test your knowledge of all elements of the program.
How do I register?
To register for a PTS course session, you must access and create an account profile in the Competence Management System (CMS).
Once you create an account (mandatory to immediately update your personal information, mailing address, and photo), you can now self-manage your PTS course session registration.
Remember — This account profile ID is your own and does not belong to your current organization/employer.
When you have successfully registered for a session, you will receive a registration confirmation email containing the course details from the email address: MXSafetyCompetence@metrolinx.com. *Note: If not received, check your Junk mail folder*.
Please add this event to your calendar. You will not be issued a formal calendar invite email for the PTS session.
Upcoming PTS Training Dates
- Tuesday, October 26, 2021
- Tuesday, November 02, 2021
- Tuesday, November 09, 2021
- Tuesday, November 16, 2021
- Tuesday, November 23, 2021
- Tuesday, November 30, 2021
- Tuesday, December 07, 2021
- Tuesday, December 14, 2021
- Tuesday, December 21, 2021
When sessions are full, accommodations for additional admittance into sessions will not be granted. Emergency requests require a Business Case sent to your Metrolinx Project VP, with written approval from your VP sent to MXSafetyCompetence@metrolinx.com. We will accommodate those circumstances where possible.
Supporting PTS Course Information
Please review and refer to the following information prior to attending, as well as during the PTS course Live Event:
Access the Competence Management System at: https://mxsafetycompetence.csod.com
1. I am a Contractor Administrator (person responsible for maintaining PTS records for my organization) or a Metrolinx Auditor:
Contractor Administrators, General Contractor Administrators, and Metrolinx Auditors are to submit an access request to MXSafetyCompetence@metrolinx.com stating they are Contractor Administrators, General Contractor Administrators, or Metrolinx Auditor to be set up with proper access.
2. To successfully complete your CMS account profile and to receive registration communications and your PTS ID Card; you must:
Create your CMS account using a unique email address (shared or universal company addresses are not permitted). Once your account is created, immediately update your profile by entering your personal information, mailing address, and photo. This information is referred to for generating and mailing your PTS ID Card.
Mailing address requirements: Provide a current, full, and valid mailing address to receive your PTS ID Card. If it is a business address, please ensure someone is in the office to appropriately receive and distribute the card.
Photo requirements: CMS Account profile photos must be a headshot (shoulders upwards), workplace appropriate, color, and clear. Please refrain from wearing face or head coverings unless for religious nature, and wear clothing (a shirt).
Where can I access help/assistance?
If you are looking for help with using the system, please refer to the step-by-step Job Aids.
Based on your role in the system; you may also have access to the “Help” menu with training videos and system job aids in your CMS account profile.
For all further inquiries and assistance, reach out to: MXSafetyCompetence@metrolinx.com