Review the latest construction notices and community documents for the project.
Kitchener Line GO Expansion
- Kitchener Extension
Today, the Kitchener Line between Kitchener GO and Georgetown GO consists of a single active track, where GO trains share space with freight traffic.
To enable two-way, all-day service on the Kitchener Line from Union Station to Kitchener GO - improvements will be made along the rail corridor and to some existing stations on the Kitchener Line.
The Kitchener Extension project will be completed in phases. Additional GO service will be introduced incrementally as construction advances, and as key segments of work are completed.
Here are some of the improvements we’re making today to allow for more trips, more often on the Kitchener Line:
• Construction of a second south platform at Guelph Central GO Station
• A new storage track for maintenance vehicles west of Guelph
• A new 2.6 kilometer passing track in Breslau (part of Woolwich Township) located between Guelph and Kitchener GO Stations, to allow trains travelling in opposite directions to pass each other.
Future phases of the Kitchener Extension project will include a passing track at Acton GO Station, a storage track for maintenance vehicles near Rockwood, a north platform extension at Guelph GO Station, expansion of the Shantz Station Road bridge and a further extension of the second track in Breslau to the east, as well as track re-alignments through the corridor.
• The addition of passing tracks at strategic locations along the line will allow for more trains and more GO Transit trips – delivering two-way, all-day GO service from Union Station to Kitchener GO Station.
• Increased service levels will allow more people to choose transit for more of their trips and meet the needs of this growing Region.
• The investment will reduce journey times between Kitchener and Union Stations from 111 minutes to 98 minutes.
• Walkable access to two-way, all-day rail service for a projected 54,000 residents and 33,000 jobs by 2041.
In the news
Find more updates on Metrolinx News.
Connect with us on social
Subscribe to e-newsletter
Sign up for regional updates
Subscribe for the latest news from Metrolinx. You can unsubscribe at anytime.
Improvements are underway along the Lakeshore West Line to support more frequent, faster service.
We're transforming GO Transit to bring more frequent two-way, all-day service to the Barrie Line.