New fare option for unlimited GO Transit travel on Sundays
The transit agency has kicked off a limited-time online pass pilot program, called ‘Sunday Funday’.
Dec 3, 2019
A Sunday drive aboard GO has just gotten cheaper.
Metrolinx has now introduced a $10 online pass providing passengers an unlimited option, whether they are looking to travel one-way, round trip or multiple trips. This option is available on both GO trains and buses.
For example; with a pass purchased between Oshawa and Burlington you can board a train at Oshawa, get off at Rouge Hill, board again at Rouge Hill, get off at Burlington, then travel back to Oshawa. The options are endless.
It’s the first time GO has offered this type of pricing promotion.
The service, called ‘Sunday Funday’, has now started and runs every Sunday to Feb. 9, 2020. Enjoy Sunday service on Lakeshore West, Lakeshore East, Stouffville and Barrie GO train lines, as well as regular GO bus service across the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
Here’s how the Sunday Funday online pass works:
- Using the passes tab, select your station of origin and your intended destination, then select $10 ‘Sunday Funday’.
- The online pass will be emailed to you, using your smartphone.
- Remember to activate five minutes prior to boarding a GO train or bus.
- Enjoy unlimited travel, all day long.
- This pass is only available online only – not at stations or by using PRESTO – while we test it out.
Here’s an example of some of the potential savings through the program:
- Taking a trip from Oshawa GO to Toronto, cash fare to Union costs $12.25 – you’ll save 18 per cent.
- Union Station to Burlington GO, and back again, would cost $24.60 – giving you a savings of 59 per cent.
- Or if you’re travelling between Allandale Waterfront and Union Station, a regular round-trip ticket would cost $31.60 – a savings of 68 per cent.
The online pass is for adult, senior and student travel, as children 12 and under already ride for free aboard GO Transit.
Customers are reminded to check schedules before they buy their pass, as Sunday schedules can vary from the normal weekday service.
The Sunday Funday pass is a pilot program being run to see how interested our customers are in this special offer. To monitor the effectiveness of the program, we are offering it only through our e-ticket program.
To purchase your Sunday Funday online pass, just click here.
And now that we have you here, check out this interesting story on Metrolinx’s new GO e-ticket pilot.
by Melissa Crowther Metrolinx Senior Brand Advisor