RFP issued for Yonge North Subway Extension tunnelling work
- RFP issued for Yonge North Subway Extension tunnelling work
Three tunnelling teams invited to submit proposals for Yonge North Subway Extension tunnelling.
The Yonge North Subway Extension is moving forward with an important procurement milestone.
The Ontario government announced on Dec. 1, 2023, that a request for proposals (RFP) has been issued to complete tunnelling work for the project.
The extension of TTC Line 1 service will bring the subway closer to thousands of people in Toronto and York Region with five new stations along a route of roughly eight kilometres.
The RFP invites three shortlisted tunnelling teams to submit proposals for how they would deliver a package of work that includes designing the tunnels, supplying the tunnel boring machines, and building the launch shaft and extraction shaft that will be used to lower the tunnel boring machines into the ground and bring them to the surface again.
The successful tunnelling team will also design and construct the walls that will support the underground stations and emergency exit buildings and relocate some existing utilities along the route.
Submissions from the three shortlisted teams were evaluated through a request for qualifications process that asked interested companies to submit their qualifications and expertise.
The three teams are:
- Applicant leads: VINCI Construction Grands Projets, Ferrovial Construction Canada Inc.
- Design prime team member: SENER SES Canada Inc.
- Construction prime team members: Ferrovial Construction Canada Inc., Janin Atlas Inc.
North End Connectors
- Applicant Leads: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.
- Design prime team members: EXP Services Inc., TYPSA Inc.
- Construction prime team members: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.
Toronto-York Tunnel Connectors
- Applicant Leads: Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Bouygues Construction Canada
- Design prime team members: Hatch Ltd., Parsons Inc.
- Construction prime team members: Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Bouygues Construction Canada
After evaluating the proposals, Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario will award a tunnelling contract to the successful team in late 2024. Tunnelling work will begin after a detailed schedule is finalized with the future tunnelling team.
The request for proposals comes as the project reaches another important milestone, with early upgrade work at Finch Station – where the new route will connect with existing Line 1 service – now substantially complete. The upgrades set the stage for future major construction on the subway extension.
Learn more and stay connected about the Yonge North Subway Extension.
For more information, email email@example.com