Winning bidder announced for Hurontario light rail transit project
Project will benefit communities in Mississauga and Brampton.
Oct 21, 2019
Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario (IO) today (Oct. 21) have officially announced the winning bidder for the Hurontario light rail transit (LRT) project.
Mobilinx, the winning team, will design, build, finance, operate and maintain the new transit project for a 30-year term.
The release of the winning bidder means Metrolinx and IO are moving forward with one of the largest infrastructure projects in Ontario. Officials say Peel region has welcomed the project, and the impact it will have on travellers and communities. This past summer, events throughout Mississauga and Brampton proved the appeal of the project.
“We are happy to announce the selection of Mobilinx as the constructor of the Hurontario LRT project,” said Metrolinx President and CEO Phil Verster.
“Providing transit solutions and connecting communities is our goal and this is a major step in making it a reality.”
Design work will begin immediately with construction to follow. Mobilinx anticipates completion of the LRT in fall 2024. The Mobilinx team includes:
- Applicant Lead: John Laing, Astaldi, Hitachi, Transdev, Amico Concessions, Salini Impregilo
- Construction: Astaldi, Hitachi, Amico, Bot, Salini Impregilo
- Design: IBI Group, Hitachi, Morrison Hershfield, Arcadis, Daoust Lestage, Exp.
- Operation Maintenance & Rehabilitation Provider: Transdev, Hitachi, Astaldi, Salini Impregilo
- Financial Advisor: National Bank, HSBC
The names may not be familiar to most, but their selection is an important step forward that will enhance the service options of residents and communities in Mississauga and beyond.
Metrolinx says the selection of Mobilinx is the result of an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third party fairness monitor.
Metrolinx and IO are delivering the Hurontario LRT via a public-private partnership (P3) contract which transfers the appropriate risks to the private sector. While the LRT will be operated and maintained by Mobilinx, it will remain publicly owned by Metrolinx.
Mobilinx will be responsible for delivering the Hurontario LRT project, which includes:
- 18 kilometres of new dedicated rapid transit between Port Credit GO Station in Mississauga to the Gateway Terminal at Steeles Avenue in Brampton
- 19 stops with connections to GO Transit’s Milton and Lakeshore West rail lines,
- Mississauga MiWay, Brampton Transit and the Mississauga Transitway
- A maintenance and storage facility for the light rail vehicles located south of Highway 407 and west of Kennedy Road
As Metrolinx works on expansive and remarkable light rail transit projects – including in Mississauga, Hamilton and Toronto (Finch West and Eglinton Crosstown) – the transit agency stresses the commitment remains providing much needed transit and keeping communities connected.