Metrolinx upgrades Aurora GO Station for GO Expansion work
Improvements at Aurora GO help enable future all-day, two-way 15-min service between Aurora & Union.
Aug 21, 2023
Construction work is beginning at Aurora GO Station to help bring more frequent service to residents.
Part of that work, to begin this month, is to also build improved amenities at the station that will allow for better service and easier access for customers.
Aurora GO Improvements
- A second track is being installed to allow for two-way train service at Aurora GO and along much of the Barrie Line
- A newly constructed west platform with barrier-free connections as well as pedestrian tunnels
- Pedestrian tunnels that were previously built in anticipation of this work will be extended to connect with the new west platform and will be open for customer use
- A newly constructed passenger pick-up/drop-off area
- A new exit at Berczy Street which will improve passenger access and the flow of traffic
All of these improvements are building towards two-way 15-minute service between Aurora and Union Station.
Aurora GO Building Preservation
Metrolinx recognizes that Aurora GO Station is a provincial heritage property of significance as well as a federal heritage railway station.
The transit agency ensures that all improvements being done along the rail corridor and surrounding areas will maintain the integrity of the station building and preserve its heritage.
Improvements being made to Aurora GO Station are only one example of the work being along the GO network as part of Metrolinx’s GO Expansion program. This transit transformation will provide riders with easier and more seamless ways get them to where they need to go by reducing wait times and traffic.
For more information about GO Expansion along the Barrie Line check out the dedicated webpage.
by Isabella Krizman Metrolinx communications planning co-op student