Metrolinx COVID update for Dec. 18, 2020
Since the pandemic began in March 2020, Metrolinx has kept customers and communities updated.
Dec 18, 2020
In the past week, four additional Metrolinx employees have tested positive for COVID-19.
The affected staff members were either working from home or consistently wore their face coverings while at work and are now recovering at home.
Staff do not appear to have contracted the virus at the workplace.
Out of over 4,300 Metrolinx employees, 45 have now tested positive for COVID-19. To date, there have been no outbreaks on our system as our safety protocols have helped limit – and stay ahead – of the spread of the virus.
A vaccine is now a reality giving us all some hope of returning to normal. But we are not there yet. And as the holiday season nears, it is important to not let down our guard. Transit staff and our customers have worked very hard for many months and with the positive vaccine news on the horizon it is more important than ever to recommit to the basics from public health:
- Stay home and off transit if ill or potentially exposed to COVID-19
- Wear a face covering and ensure both the nose and mouth is covered at all times (Check out the Metrolinx PPE dispensers and branded masks)
- Wash hands regularly and use hand sanitizer found on buses, trains and in stations
- Download the COVID Alert App.
- Make a plan to celebrate the holiday season safely.
by Anne Marie Aikins Chief spokesperson