Burlington GO Station set for temporary closure of elevators
Work on the elevators is needed as they reach the end of their lifespan.
Oct 6, 2020
Burlington GO train customers are getting a much needed lift this fall.
That’s because starting October 26, 2020, the elevators at the vital Lakeshore West line hub will be out of service while Metrolinx carries out important upgrades.
This will mean some temporary changes for customers at Burlington GO, especially those who require elevator access.
Customers with accessibility needs are able to use the elevators at both neighbouring GO stations (Appleby and Aldershot), GO Transit will also help make alternative travel arrangements for customers.
The brand new elevators will open to customers early next year.
What is happening at Burlington GO?
- While the elevators upgrades are taking place, both the north and south platforms will be not be accessible for customers who need elevator service.
- There will not be an accessible route between the north and south side of the station.
- The elevator in the parking structure in the north lot will still be available.
I need an elevator, what should I do?
- Customers who need an elevator can request an accessible shuttle service which will transfer them between Burlington GO and Appleby GO or Aldershot GO.
- To use the accessibility shuttle, customers can register with GO Transit through the Contact Centre.
Why is this happening now?
The elevators at Burlington GO Station are getting close to the end of their lifespan and these upgrades will make them more reliable for customers. GO Transit is replacing all of the elevators at once to reduce the impact to customers.
Burlington customers are no stranger to construction as the station underwent a significant facelift that was completed in 2018. That station upgrade did not include replacing the elevators, which is why the work is required now. The current elevators have been running since 1994, so this modernization work is necessary to ensure reliability for many years to come.
Good news for cyclists
As part of the same construction work, GO Transit is building a new secure bike room at the station to help make cycling to the station even safer. Construction work is scheduled for mid-October and should be done in time for cycling season in spring 2021.
Metrolinx is committed to getting the upgrades done as quickly and efficiently as possible.
The transit agency recommends signing up for On the GO email or text alerts to stay informed about the construction timelines and elevator status at Burlington. Customers can also check the dedicated construction website.
Metrolinx says signing up is easy and allows customers to customize alerts to your home station and schedule.
by Scott Money Metrolinx editorial content manager