Bloor Street West weekend full closure, detours planned
A section of Bloor Street West will be closed from May 19-22 for rail bridge demolition.
May 16, 2023
Bloor Street West will be fully closed between St. Helens Avenue and Ruttan Street between May 19 to 22 to demolish the east span of local GO Train bridge.
The closure will be in effect from Friday evening to Monday morning.
There will be no pedestrian, cyclist, or vehicular traffic on Bloor Street West under the bridge during the closure. Detour signage will be in place.
Metrolinx encourages everyone to plan ahead and build in extra travel time.
Full Closure May 19 to 22
- Bloor Street West will be closed between St. Helens Avenue (west of Lansdowne) and Ruttan Street (east of Symington) from May 19 at 9 p.m. to May 22 at 5 a.m.
- There will be no through-traffic of any kind allowed under the bridge
- All traffic including pedestrians and cyclists will be detoured via Lansdowne Avenue and Symington Avenue going north/south, and across Wallace Avenue going east/west.
Partial Closures Starting May 15
Leading up to and following the weekend bridge demolition, partial road and sidewalk closures are required:
- Monday, May 15 at 6 a.m. – Friday, May 19 at 6 p.m.:Continuous partial closures
- Friday, May 19 at 9 p.m. – Monday, May 22 at 5 a.m.: Continuous full closure
- Monday, May 22 at 6 a.m. – Friday, May 26 at 6 p.m.: Continuous partial closures
- During the partial closures, traffic will be maintained in both directions and one sidewalk will always remain open for pedestrians.
In late 2020, Metrolinx demolished the west span of the Bloor Street West bridge in order to rebuild the west half with new track. With GO Trains now travelling on the new west mainline track, crews can move forward with the demolition and reconstruction of the east span.
Metrolinx Community Engagement Advisors are available to answer questions at TorontoWest@metrolinx.com or 416-202-6911.
by Teresa Ko Metrolinx communications senior advisor