All lines impacted – GO Transit announces service increase
GO rail service will be adjusting services in September, including rail and bus routes.
Aug 17, 2020
Metrolinx is increasing service starting Sept. 5 to meet the expected demand from the return to school and the workplace as Ontario continues to recover from the worst of the pandemic.
All combined, the schedule adjustments – including the return of some services suspended in the wake of COVID-19, and impacts to bus routes – are the largest shift to service in GO Transit’s history.
Most GO train and bus schedules are changing as Metrolinx restores or adjusts service to meet passenger demand.
All train lines and most bus routes will be affected; however, customers will have to wait an extra week for returning weekend service on the Barrie line. That starts up again on Sept. 12, so crews can get in one more weekend of construction on the line.
Go here if you want to quickly access the new GO Transit schedule.
The news will benefit an increasing number of customers returning to the transit system, as Ontario, and the world, adjusts to a new normal of movement and work. The service changes will provide more options for everyone from essential workers to tradespeople to those who work in downtown office buildings to get where they need to go more conveniently.
The resumption of some off-peak train service is also an incentive for families and individuals to get out and start exploring our region again, and will help others get back to school or make it back in time for day care pickup.
How is your line changing?
- GO is resuming some train service all week on the Lakeshore East and West lines to ensure customers have service every 15 to 30 minutes during rush hour, and hourly or better in the midday, evenings and weekends.
- On top of the Lakeshore West line additions, Hamilton GO train customers will benefit from the reintroduction of two morning eastbound trips from West Harbour GO to Union Station and two afternoon westbound trips from Union Station back to West Harbour GO.
- GO is resuming some rush hour service on all lines (Milton, Barrie, Kitchener, Stouffville, Richmond Hill) to ensure customers have hourly or better service during peak periods.
- Stouffville weekend trains return. GO is bringing back weekend train service along the Stouffville GO line to give people the flexibility for weekend getaways.
- Weekend train service along the Barrie GO line is back (and now throughout most of the day between Aurora and Toronto) on Sept. 12 to give people the flexibility for weekend getaways.
The list of bus services adjusted is long, so check the updated GO Transit schedule to make sure you’re up to date.
While the majority of GO riders sheltered in place starting in mid-March, a large roster of ‘Safety Never Stops’ measures were taken to keep customers and transit staff safe, including a mandatory face-covering policy.
Train and bus customers returning to GO Transit will be required to wear non-medical face coverings on vehicles and inside stations. There’s also new wayfinding to help them get around and seat dividers on many vehicles to give them more protection while they travel.
Combined, the changes will help riders get to where they’re going easier and safely.
And another reminder to check your GO Transit schedule for the latest update. Just click here.