Schedule changes to improve how fans get to Toronto FC games
Metrolinx is listening to comments about crowding on TFC match days – on platforms and trains..
Jul 21, 2022
Metrolinx is helping Toronto FC fans with schedule and platform changes that will improve how they get to BMO Field for the match this Saturday evening (July 23).
The transit agency is working to ensure a safe flow of people, particularly before and after popular events, including TFC matches.
Fans and other travellers on the Lakeshore East and West Lines will see some changes, designed to give everyone more time to board their trains and reduce crowing at the stadium gates for those taking the last trains before kick-off.
Extra GO staff will also be on hand for everyone’s safety and to validate fare payment.
These scheduling changes will be in place around the TFC game on Saturday, July 23.
- All westbound trips from Oshawa GO from 4:10 p.m. to 6:40 p.m. will depart five minutes earlier than regularly scheduled.
- The last trip before kickoff will arrive at 7:17 p.m.
- All eastbound trips from Union Station from 5:35 p.m. to 8:05 p.m. will depart 15 minutes later than regularly scheduled.
- All westbound trips from Union Station from 5:15 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. will depart five minutes earlier than regularly scheduled.
- The 4:13 p.m., 5:13 p.m. and 6:13 p.m. eastbound trips from West Harbour GO will depart ten minutes later, at 4:23 p.m., 5:23 p.m. and 6:23 p.m. and arrive at Exhibition GO and Union Station 15 minutes later than regularly scheduled.
- The 4:55 p.m., 5:55 p.m., and 6:55 p.m. trips from Aldershot GO will depart ten minutes later, at 5:05 p.m., 6:05 p.m. and 7:05 p.m. and arrive at Exhibition GO and Union Station 15 minutes later than regularly scheduled.
- During these adjustments, eastbound trains will also make longer than normal scheduled stops at the most popular stations on the Lakeshore West Line to provide customers extra time to board their trains.
- The last two trips before TFC’s kickoff will arrive at 6:36 p.m. and 7:06 p.m.
In a small break from routine, most pre-game westbound trains will arrive on the south platform at Exhibition Station. Post-game trains will depart from both platforms as usual, so make sure to check departure boards before you head to the platform.
Fans heading through the tunnel to Liberty Village after the game will no longer have to turn left and up the stairs that lead to the platform. The tunnel has been extended, so people heading to Liberty Village can go straight and up the newly opened stairs, making it easy to get to Atlantic Avenue.
People that don’t have PRESTO cards and want to avoid line-ups at station ticket vending machines can buy GO e-tickets in advance online or take advantage of one of the GO Transit Weekend Pass options. E-tickets should be activated five minutes before boarding.
As always, fans are reminded to plan ahead; budget some extra time; pay attention to signs, announcements and directions from staff; spread out along the platform while standing well back of the yellow line; and enjoy the game.
by Mike Winterburn Metrolinx News senior writer