The Big Move is a bold and visionary plan that outlines a common
vision for transportation for one of the largest and fastest-growing
urban regions in North America. The plan introduces a new way of moving
around the region.
Effective transit and transportation solutions can bolster our global
competitiveness, protect our environment, and improve our quality of life.
Expanding transportation can help create thousands of new green and
well-paid jobs, and save billions of dollars in time, energy and other
The Premier of Ontario and the Minister of Transportation committed $11.5
billion to begin the implementation of The Big Move and to get shovels in
the ground on key transit projects.
The Big Move, adopted in 2008 by the Metrolinx Board, was developed
through intensive public consultation and collaboration with key
stakeholders, municipal leaders and professionals throughout the region.
Metrolinx is now working collaboratively across the region to deliver The
Read The Big Move.
Proposed Updates to The Big Move
At the October 29, 2012 meeting of the Metrolinx Board, staff were directed to update The Big Move on the basis that, it is timely to refine certain elements of the plan and fully integrate the GO2020 ten-year plan within the longer term transportation goals and objectives of existing version of The Big Move. Visit bigmove.ca to learn more about the proposed updates.
Next Wave Projects
Join the #BIGmove conversation and visit bigmove.ca to learn more about projects underway and the next wave of projects that will help bring 713 km of rapid transit enhancements to the GTHA.
The Big Move Baseline Monitoring Report
The Big Move Baseline Monitoring Report is a snapshot of the work underway to implement the 25-year plan and provides a framework for its long-term assessment. Developed over two years, with extensive stakeholder consultation, The Baseline Monitoring Report is a technical supporting document that:
- Reviews status of the 92 Priority Actions and Supporting Policies of The Big Move being implemented by Metrolinx and other partners and stakeholders
- Establishes a 2008 baseline of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for monitoring the goals of The Big Move
- Highlights progress in expanding the regional rapid transit network
- Demonstrates the principle of transparency and public accountability as set out in the Investment Strategy
This document will be used by Metrolinx, municipalities, local transit operators, and other stakeholders to:
- Inform regular public progress reporting
- Monitor ongoing alignment of policy and project delivery with The Big Move goals
- Inform public decision-making
Metrolinx will also use this document as a benchmark for the legislated review of the Regional Transportation Plan, to be completed by 2016.
Read the report and supporting documents: