Metrolinx’s strategic Regional Transportation Plan has 10 specific strategies to meet its goals. Strategy #6 is “Implement an Integrated Transit Fare System”. With 11 transit agencies in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) and Ottawa, each with their own fare structure, riders travelling across the region have, in the past, had to pay with various fare media for a single trip.
That’s where PRESTO comes in. PRESTO's goal is to be the preferred means for seamless and efficient transit fare payment for both riders and transit agencies across the GTHA and Ottawa.
PRESTO offers customers greater convenience, savings, security, and enhanced service, and is a core component of the Regional Transportation Plan.
PRESTO is comparable to integrated fare systems in major transit
networks such as the London Oyster Card and the Hong Kong Octopus Card, and is consistent with the GTHA’s position as one of North America’s most populous and important economic hubs and Toronto’s growing international presence.
PRESTO – It’s that easy
PRESTO allows customers to use a single, seamless, integrated fare payment method across participating transit systems in the region, including bus, streetcar, train and subway routes. This technology can be adopted by a variety of municipal transit agencies whether serving large city populations, mid-sized urban centres or burgeoning suburban communities.
Today, PRESTO is used as a fare card to make it easier for commuters to pay their fare with the simple tap of a card while travelling within and between participating transit systems.
In the future, PRESTO will be delivered through additional devices (other than the familiar green card), such as contactless credit and debit cards, offering customers even more convenience, flexibility and personalization.
Life is easier with PRESTO
- Your PRESTO card replaces the need for paper tickets, tokens, passes and cash
- A registered PRESTO card ensures your balance is protected if your card is ever lost, stolen, or needs to be replaced for any reason
- PRESTO allows you to seamlessly transfer across participating transit systems
- Your PRESTO card is reloadable and reusable
- Set up, load and manage your PRESTO account online without having to stand in line
- Set up automatic PRESTO card reloads when your balance drops below a specified dollar amount
More rides for your dollars
- Whether riding once or regularly, PRESTO always calculates the lowest fare
- Some of PRESTO's transit agencies offer loyalty discount programs, so the more you ride the more you can save, and some even offer reduced or no-cost fares when you use your PRESTO card on more than one transit agency within a certain period of time
- With PRESTO you have complete flexibility to choose to pay as you
go or load weekly or monthly passes
- Download a Transit Usage Report to help with making a claim for the federal public transit tax credit
Visit PRESTOcard.ca for information on the PRESTO card.
Find PRESTO in Your Community
PRESTO will, within the next few years, be the preferred means for convenient, seamless and efficient transit fare payment for both riders and transit agencies.
Currently, over 2.5 million customers are using PRESTO cards to tap on to Brampton Transit, Burlington Transit, Durham Region Transit, GO Transit, HSR in Hamilton, MiWay in Mississauga, Oakville Transit, OC Transpo
in Ottawa, UP Express, York Region Transit, and TTC.
Learn more about PRESTO in Your Community.
The PRESTO Story
Full PRESTO rollout began in 2009 with the installation of payment devices at select GO
Transit stations and on select municipal transit buses. As the rollout continued, passengers increasingly adopted PRESTO cards, and devices were installed across the networks of all the participating transit agencies.
PRESTO allows riders to use a single, convenient, seamless, integrated fare system for all transit systems across the region, including bus, streetcars, train and subway routes. This technology can be adopted by a variety of municipal transit agencies - whether serving large city populations, mid-sized urban centres or burgeoning suburban communities.
PRESTO is designed to deliver or exceed comparable integrated fare systems in such major transit systems such as the London Oyster Card system and the Hong Kong Octopus System, and it is consistent with the GTHA’s position as one of North America’s most populous and important economic hubs and Toronto’s growing international presence.
By developing the core PRESTO system, Metrolinx can leverage this initial investment and enable an integrated fare approach, providing benefits to millions of Ontarians.
Read the report on PRESTO's Value for Money.
Reports on PRESTO
We believe in open and transparent communications with our stakeholders. See the commissioned reports
on PRESTO. For more information on any of these reports, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.