Yonge North Subway Extension
What We’re Doing
With $55 million in funding from the Government of Ontario, Metrolinx is working with the City of Toronto, the TTC, the Regional Municipality of York and the York Region Rapid Transit Corporation to conduct detailed planning, design and engineering work on the Yonge North Subway Extension.
This project would see the eastern segment of Line 1 extended north from the TTC’s Finch subway station to Highway 7 in Richmond Hill.
Why We’re Doing It
York Region is growing – the Regional Municipality of York estimates that 58 million riders per year would use the extension by 2031. This project would make it easier for more people to take rapid transit and will strengthen connections between Toronto and York Region.
A number of other planned and underway improvements would contribute to the success of the Yonge North Subway Extension — the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension; increased GO train service in York Region; and a new relief line subway route in Toronto.
Planning and design are now underway
- Project Cost: Additional planning work
Metrolinx will be undertaking with partners will inform the
final project cost
- Location: Toronto, York Region
- Number of stations/stops: Stop options are
being explored as part of planning and design work.
- Route length: 36 kilometres
- Major transit connections: GO Transit rail network (Richmond Hill line), GO Transit bus service, York Region Transit/vivaNext
- Completion date: To be determined once planning and design work are complete
Read more about the Yonge North Subway extension at vivanext.com.