Eglinton Crosstown West Extension
Taking Eglinton Crosstown Further
The proposed Eglinton Crosstown West Extension will bring even more rapid transit to Etobicoke and Mississauga to make it easier for people to get where they need to be each day.
The proposed extension of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will run 9.2 kilometres from the future Mount Dennis LRT station to Renforth Drive and will operate mainly underground, helping to reduce travel times and improve access to jobs, schools and other destinations throughout the Greater Toronto Area.
Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario are working together to deliver the project, which is estimated to be complete by 2030-31.
A Message from the Project Team
Metrolinx Program Sponsor Joshua Engel-Yan and the team behind the project are eager to bring your ideas into the planning and design process. There’s never been a better opportunity for you to have your voice heard in the development of new rapid transit that will shape the Toronto region for decades to come.
Where will it take me?
The proposed extension will offer convenient links to other destinations throughout the region – UP Express and Kitchener Line GO Train service at Mount Dennis, TTC bus services at all transit stops in Toronto, and MiWay and GO Bus services via the Mississauga Transitway at Renforth Drive.
Plans are also being explored with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority to extend the line another 4.7 kilometres to Pearson International Airport.
By the Numbers
(All numbers are approximate, based on current plans for the project)
|Number of proposed stations||Up to 10
|Proposed connections to other transit options||5
|Route length||Up to 13.9km
|Ridership||37,000 daily boardings|
|Improved access to transit||50,000 more people within walking distance to transit|
|Improved access to jobs||31,000 more jobs within walking distance to transit|
|Yearly reductions in greenhouse gas emissions||39,000 tonnes|
Faster and More Convenient Travel
The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension will bring the Crosstown LRT further west, creating a continuous LRT line along Eglinton Avenue, from the east end of Toronto into Mississauga, providing significant relief to busy commutes by expanding transit capacity and cutting travel times.
On April 14, 2021, Metrolinx will present information and answer your questions about transit corridor lands and the Building Transit Faster Act. Visit Metrolinx Engage for more information and to register.
Information from our latest virtual engagement is available on the Metrolinx Engage portal. Learn more about the project, the progress on the tunnel alignment, station locations and the work beginning this year.
Your opinion matters. You can always share thoughts, questions or comments on the project by emailing email@example.com or by calling 416-202-8001.
- Letters identifying transit corridor lands for the project were mailed to property owners and occupants in April. Learn more about property and transit construction.
March 5, 2021
- We’ve identified the team who will design and build the tunnels for the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension, bringing us even closer to a better connected GTA. Learn more here.
August 20, 2020
- Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario issued the Request for Proposals (RFP) for advanced tunnelling, inviting three shortlisted teams to begin preparing submissions for how they will deliver the project if selected. Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx expect to award tunnelling contracts in mid-2021. Read more about the RFP and shortlisted bidders here.
Metrolinx is also continuing to explore plans with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority to extend the line to Pearson International Airport.
If you have any questions about the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay tuned to this page for future project updates.
In The News
- How transit corridor lands will shorten construction timelines – March 2021
- Tunnelling team identified for Scarborough Subway Extension and Eglinton Crosstown West Extension – Now talks begin to drill down on details – March 2021
- Keeping up to speed on the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension – What’s happening next with the project – February 2021
- The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension completes a missing link: How a decades-old expressway plan will help bridge a transit gap – December 2020
- The art and science of building subway tunnels – One size doesn’t fit all – August 2020
- Tunnelling work on Scarborough Subway Extension and Eglinton Crosstown West Extension put out for bids – March 2020
- Metrolinx releases updated business cases for Scarborough Subway Extension and Eglinton Crosstown West Extension – February 2020
- Rock of ages – How drilling work on four Toronto subway projects are tapping into a subterranean GTA history, centuries in the making – January 2020
In March 2020, Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx issued two Requests for Qualifications (RFQs) for advance tunnelling work on the Scarborough Subway Extension and the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension - the first phase of work for the two projects.
February 28, 2020: Metrolinx published the Initial Business Case. Planning for the project continues, including due diligence work, further refining the design and engineering work and seeking environmental approvals.